The tidal island Mont-St-Michel (in English St. Michael’s Mount) is located at the mouth of Couesnon River in Lower Normandy (France). Sometimes, it is attributed to the nearby Brittanny as well. The first chapel devoted to St. Michael was founded by bishop Aubert of Avranches in the 8th century. Later, the island was converted to a fortified abbey. In 1789, the abbey was closed and converted to a prison for about 90 years.
Mont-St-Michel is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site sice 1979.
The photos are taken in July, 2011.